Background and Site History

The West KL Avenue Landfill is located in Oshtemo Township, Kalamazoo County, Michigan, about three miles west of the City of Kalamazoo. The landfill property is approximately 87 acres in size and is bordered to the south by West KL Avenue.

The site was operated as a private landfill from approximately 1950 to1960, as a township landfill from 1960 to1968, and as a county landfill (aka the "Kalamazoo County Landfill") until 1979. Kalamazoo County capped the landfill in 1980 after nearby residential wells were observed to be impacted with constituents of concern (COCs) associated with the landfill. During its three decades of operation, the landfill accepted a mix of residential and industrial waste. The primary COCs remaining in site groundwater are benzene, tetrahydrofuran (THF), and 1,4-diethylene dioxide (1,4-DD).

The KL Landfill was designated as a Superfund site in 1982. USEPA conducted site investigation and feasibility studies in the 1980s, culminating in the issuance of a "Record of Decision" (aka a "ROD") in 1990. The ROD set forth the initial remedial plan for the site. The USEPA is the lead agency for the site working with MDEQ.

The KLA Group

In 1992, Oshtemo Township, Kalamazoo County, the City of Kalamazoo, and The Upjohn Company created the KLA Group for the purpose of facilitating effective implementation of site remedial activities. Pfizer first became involved at the Site in 2003 when it merged with the successor to Upjohn, the Pharmacia & Upjohn Company. Pfizer has since stepped in to take a leading role in the KLA Group on behalf of The Upjohn Company.